NOTE: The certification amnesty program ends April 30!
As part of the 50th anniversary Jubilee Project of the Society of Broadcast Engineers, the Certification Committee has declared amnesty on all whose certifications expired after January 1999 and are now lapsed. If this is you, you can apply to reinstate your certification without retaking the examination before April 30, 2014.
In order to apply for the Jubilee Project, you must fill out the application, include a resume or letter to the committee explaining what you have done in the field of broadcast engineering over the time period of your lapsed certification and include the professional credits form for the last five years (2008-2013). (Professional credits do not apply to CTO, CRO and CBT certifications.)
Here are the details of the certification amnesty program.
If you plan to take an exam in the future, here are some helpful tips from the SBE Certification Committee.
- Most exams are open book.This means that you can take in any book that you think would be helpful for the exam. These books do not need to be exclusively on our Suggested Reference List.
- Most of the certification exams are allotted three hours. Make sure that you take your time and review your answers before completing your exam.
- Calculators are permitted during the exam, however computers are not. You may utilize your smart phone as a calculator but you will be required to put it in “airplane mode”. You will be on your honor not to use it for recording notes during the test.
- Written notes are not allowed to be used during the exam.
- Sign and date the coversheet of your exam.
Results will be mailed out as soon as they are available. You are only notified pass or fail. Results are only given to the applicant.
For Frequently Asked Questions check out this page, or apply for an SBE Certification.
If you are interested in any of the SBE certifications, please go to the SBE website, or contact Certification Director, Megan Clappe.
SBE has announced certification exam dates and application deadlines for 2013.
|April 9 (at NAB, Las Vegas)
For more information on the SBE Program of Certification, contact Certification Coordinator Megan Clappe at headquarters.
Fees for SBE certification and recertification will increase for SBE members $2 to $3, depending on the level of certification, effective January 1, 2011. The non-member rates will also increase.
December 31, 2010 is the deadline for applying for recertification if your certification expires January 1, 2011. Check your certificate and submit your application before it’s too late!
CertPreview software is now downloadable for PC and Mac in addition to being on CD. Sample tests are $29 each and can be ordered online.
Get more information on SBE’s certfication and professional development courses.