SBE Headquarters has announced local chapter certification exam dates and application deadlines through 2021. They are:
- February 5-15, 2021 – Deadline December 31, 2020
- June 4-14, 2021 – Deadline April 16, 2021
- August 6-16, 2021 – Deadline June 11, 2021
- November 5-15, 2021 – Deadline September 10, 221
Exams are normally given at the National Association of Broadcasters convention. In 2021, the convention has been rescheduled to October and it is not yet know if exams will be held there.
Most exams can be taken by mutual arrangement in the Detroit area.
For more information on certification, visit the SBE Certification webpage.
Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers
Detroit Section Meeting Notice
Joint meeting with Chapter 82. Society of Broadcast Engineers
Date: Tuesday, February 18, 2020
Time: 7:30 pm
Location: Lawrence Technological University, Southfield. Buell Building (#5 on map), Room M211. Park in lot C or D. See map for details.
Speaker: Bill Bennett, Media Solutions Account Manager, ENCO
Subject: The Case to Caption Everything
A presentation to illustrate the importance of captioning all of your media, from regulatory compliance needs to an improved consumer experience and greater monetization of your assets.
In this presentation, ENCO will:
- Explain Automated Speech Recognition and how it applies to captioning of video and audio content
- Describe the benefits and drawbacks of today’s various captioning methods
- Discuss the US regulatory captioning environment, its predicted future, and penalties
- Explore how the regulatory environment will impact content creators, publishers, venue designers and owners, and systems integrators
- Overview some new benefits from ASR, such as creation of sidecar simple text file transcripts that are highly searchable, text-based search and navigation of video and audio assets, improved customer experiences by finding the content they want, transcripts of meetings and events or important audio communications, translation for a global marketplace, live and on-demand, and search-engine optimization for improved Internet search results for finding your captioned media.
Time-permitting, Bill will also briefly discuss ENCO’s new live cloud backup, playout and disaster recovery system for radio stations.
PLEASE INVITE YOUR COLLEAGUES
No charge to attend – Non-members and friends welcome.
The January 14, 2020 meeting has been cancelled due to a scheduling conflict.
The Chapter 82 e-mail list has been hosted by Yahoo Groups for many years. Yahoo is scaling back its Groups service, so the e-mail list is moving to groups.io.
Current subscribers to the Yahoo list SBE82 have received instructions on how to subscribe to the new list.
If you would like to subscribe to the Chapter 82 e-mail list going forward, please visit the groups.io SBE82 page and follow instructions to subscribe.